Pride in Identity




It's "pride" month. 

So...I've been spending every day this month so far looking at what God's Word says about "pride," reminding myself of His truth. The Bible has much to say about pride. Not one of those things is positive. The Jesus-follower has no room for pride, should have no place in it, no connection at all. So to have an entire month out of our year devoted to "pride," setting aside what this month boasts of even, is mind boggling to see any Jesus believer supporting it. The basis of "Pride Month" is the celebration of self, celebration of the identity one embraces. Self is exalted above the good of any other person or being. Self is worshiped. This is the core of pride, all pride. Self worship over God worship. 

I'm thinking much about our culture, as I'm sure most of you are, too. I'm thinking of it's direction. I'm thinking of how worldly and unwise it is in its pursuits and thinking. The surface self-centeredness - that personal happiness and gratification is the only goal, the only thing to attain in this life - is so shallow, so empty. Shallow waters create an environment where eventually life can never thrive. I cannot get behind the shallow, small idea that what I identify with today is who I am. I cannot get behind the prideful, ignorant arrogance that I in my hugely limited intelligence (compared to the wisdom of Creator God) am able to define completely my identity. I'm 43 years old. I have walked with God since I was 7 years old. My understanding of my identity has changed over and over. My perception of self changes with each new revelation that the Holy Spirit gives me of who God is and who I am in Him.  The truth is that I am a created work. I did not make me, which means I don't know me like my creator does. I am learning who I am as my creator reveals His plans and purposes for this created work. What do I know so far?

God chose to create me and so I am a valuable created work.

God created me to be His child and so I am fathered - safe, led, guided, disciplined, held - by God. 

God created me to be a female. There is no other alternative no matter how I feel today. 

God created me to follow and learn from His Son, Jesus and so what Jesus does, I do. My way is not His way, my way is not THE way. 

God created me for community and so I live my life intimately with other Jesus-followers, learning how to love, speak truth in love, forgive and be forgiven. 

God created me for worship and gave me choice of where to offer that worship...daily. Self or Him?

There are other things I know, I'm sure and many that I don't yet understand. But these are core truths about my identity given to me by Creator God. I don't have pride in these things. To have pride in my identity means that I believe I had something to do with it, when in reality I've been along for the ride learning how to live deeply in the death of Christ and His resurrection life for 43 years. These truths about my identity don't bring pride, instead they bring a great humility! Who am I that God would think and follow through with creating me?! Especially knowing the sin, the mistakes I bring to the table, the false perceptions, the stubbornness, the wrong thinking dipped in arrogance? Who I am completely belongs to Him, the Creator and definer of His creation! Who am I to dare stand before His beautiful, holy face, His creative power, His sovereign heart and declare who I am to HIM?! Even as I type that I feel the futile stupidity in it, the arrogant absurdity! These core truths make me want to bow my face to the earth in reverence and jump up and down in gratitude declaring my praise for a Creator who sees me individually, who names me, who defines me, who transforms me and guides me in that definition. These core truths cause me to throw my hands up and release any hold I have on who I'm becoming...I yield again today to His wisdom and love for me, His creation. 

I will not boast in who I am. I will only boast in a Father who loves me enough to give me breath, a Savior who loves me enough to shed His blood so I can keep breathing, keep transforming, and a Holy Spirit who befriends me and leads me into all of God's truth. I will brag and "pride" in this every day until I have no more days here. DEATH TO SELF! GLORY TO GOD all my days. Welcome to "pride" month REDEFINED! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Clear Glass, Stained Glass: Worship God vs Worshiping Worship

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do...