Communion


Here's where the dead things come back to living
I feel my heart beating again

God is in the waiting. He's in the silence and unknown. He's in the place where my feet are frozen, unsure of which way to look, think or move. He's in the place where either way could be the way, or no way at all. He's in the places we assume He's not, where our logic and reason take up more space than His infinite self. He's in my successes and my failures, simply because He is Father ready to celebrate, ready to restore. Always there. Every moment holy because He is the maker of days and the giver of breath. 

We are returning. 

God is calling the church away from issues, agendas, debates and back to His very self. Away from the grandstands to the humbled place at the feet of Jesus. Away from the fight the world wages and back to obedience and marching orders springing from the peace beyond understanding. Communion. Common union...shared union. Christ in us and us in Him. So combined that there is hardship distinguishing who is Who and Which is which. 

I am learning in the Old Testament about the historical kings in Israel and Judah. I am seeing patterns that are challenging my independent, stubborn "all-wise" heart and realizing again that my "wisdom" is too big for my britches. The common pattern is this:  Humbly submit to God in obedience and all things go well. Move in flesh and human pride and all things will be destroyed. King after king - obey? End well. Disobey? Sorry, dude. 

 I think I know. So much. I think I have it all figured out. I think I have God figured out. I assume He moves a certain way. I've followed Him since I was 7 years old. And if I'm honest, I have a part of me that thinks because I have all these years under my belt that I simply know God. I got this. I assume upon Him with my opinions as I look at all that is happening around me. The truth is...the more I spend with Him, the more experience I experience, the more I don't know. He continues to refine what I know about Him and then silence me with jaw dropping new revelation that blows my assumptiveness out the window! 

I'm finding my worship and obedience are in direct correlation to a continued humility of being wowed by Him! When I allow my intellect and will to dictate and make me think I know enough, I lose my awe of God, and so lose my worship and immediate obedience. But as I remain in constant communion my otherwise dead heart remains alive and resuscitated. My minor wisdom and understanding remains hooked fast to God's infinite sight, wisdom and thinking. The key to success of the kings of Israel was completely founded on who they worshipped, who they bowed to, who they were wowed by. The failure of God being the only One to fill that place resulted in the violent destruction of themselves and the nation of Israel. Every moment is a holy intersection with heaven. God wants it all. Communion...shared union in all things in all moments. Nothing is too small or too big for His care. 

We are returning. Dead things coming back to living. Restored to a relationship instead of a cause or a practice. God doesn't need us to defend Him to others. Frankly, we do a poor job at this. He can do that Himself very well. No. He desires for us to be Him to others. His very body. That only happens in communion with Him. 


John 17:23     "I in them and You in Me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that You sent Me and that You love them as much as You love Me." 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pride in Identity

Clear Glass, Stained Glass: Worship God vs Worshiping Worship

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do...