How We Lead Matters

 I rarely have time to read these days. The moment I sit down the children have radar that goes off in the core of their being telling them to come find me or wake up from their nap. That is THE moment they must have a snack..."Mom's reading??? That must mean I'm hungry!!!" Even the dog thinks that when I sit down, it MUST be because I want to play with her...and here she comes with her stuffed bunny, tail wagging with expectation. SO, I've taken up listening to audio books as an attempt to keep my brain working beyond the level of board books and Disney drama! Although, some of those board books can be pretty profound!

This morning I was listening to 1 Kings while making breakfast and going about our morning routines. It was good for me to be reminded of these historical stories, some that I'd forgotten about and felt fresh. As I listened to chapter after chapter, over and over again I heard, "_________ did what was right to the Lord," or "_____________ did not tear down the altars to baal and did not do good in the eyes of God." These phrases were talking about each king that came into power over Judah or Israel during this period of time. The legacy of these men was based on their leadership - did they lead people to worship God or other gods? That was the litmus test of success or failure in God's eyes. Under each king's leadership, Judah & Israel rose or fell based on which of those two phrases were written at the end of their life. If a king tore down the high places to false gods and did what was pleasing to God, then their people followed. If a king left up the high places to false gods and ignored God's direction of His prophets, their people fell more deeply into sin.  

And then, one story in particular caught my attention. The story of Jehoshaphat. In 1 Kings 22:43 it says about him, "In everything he followed in the ways of his father, Asa, and did not stray from them; he did what was right in the eyes of the Lord. The high places, however, were not removed, and the people continued to offer sacrifices and burn incense there."  This stopped me. Jehoshaphat took care of his own heart and was careful to do what pleased the Lord. But he didn't lead his people to do this, as well. They continued in their sin and idolatry. 

There is this belief, especially in progressive Christianity, that love means walking with a person without the necessity of speaking truth about sin. "That's the Holy Spirit's job. It's just our job to love people and leave them alone." I've heard this many times, especially in regards to how the church should stand with people in the LGBTQ community. To me, this sounds like Jehoshaphat. He took care of his own heart, but for whatever reason, he didn't LOVE his people enough to courageously confront their hearts that had strayed away from God's truth. Leadership matters. How we lead and interact with others matters so much to God. This feels so weighty. I don't want one person in my life to have a relationship with me without feeling compelled to follow Jesus, according to the truth in His Word. Why would I keep Jesus from them? Why would I take care of my own heart and not be moved to take care of the heart of my loved ones, my friends, my coworkers? Love without truth isn't love, but a perverted copycat. In fact, love can't exist in relationship without truth, vulnerability, honesty. For me to know that someone is living in such a way that doesn't please God and to not lovingly attempt to lead that person back to Him, is...selfish evil. I'm condemning that person to stay as they are and holding tight to the invitation to come to the Lord who changes us from glory to glory! How could I do that, knowing how my life has been impacted as God changes me???

I think this is part of what Jesus was warning and why He used such strong language when He said, "If anyone causes one of these little ones to stumble, it would be better for him to tie a millstone around his neck and be thrown into the sea. (Matthew 18:6)"  Our words, our actions, our involvement with others matters. Our silence, out of our worry of being judgmental or offensive, can have devastating effects. Jehoshaphat, for whatever reason, chose to be passive, rather than proactive with his people. When I pray for people, I do ask the Holy Spirit to transform their hearts and "do His job," right along with asking Him to first do the same in me. But, I also ask Him to help me be courageous enough to speak the truth in love and to help me lead people straight to His heart. When reading 1 Kings, it speaks very loudly that we have a responsibility towards those God has placed in our life, not to judge them. But to speak truth in love to guide them to repentance and freedom. What a humble privilege and role we've been given for one another. I'm so grateful for the people in my life who have led me well, who have loved me enough to not leave me the way I am. I'm so grateful for the people in my life who have had hope for me, who have seen God's greatness in me and who challenge me to rise to that standard! 

my parents, Hal & Monia Benner

my mother & father in-law, Jim & Sallie Collins

my husband, Michael

John & Linda Piippo

Tim & Tristan Curry

my homegroup, Grant & Jana, Maria & Leo, Andy & Nicole, Sarah & Dustin

my best friend since first grade, Terri Hammill

my sisters, Heather & Heidi

Tim & Cindi Murphy, spiritual mentors during those crazy teenage years

All of these people love me and speak truth to me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart! Loving truth really does set me free. Your leadership has mattered...to me and to the Lord whom you serve with all your heart! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pride in Identity

Clear Glass, Stained Glass: Worship God vs Worshiping Worship

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do...