I Am Currently Reading...

The Book of Hebrews...and I have lots of questions. My usual response when I have questions about Scripture is to run to commentaries or people I view as smarter than me in the Kingdom and suck all the wisdom out of them as I possibly can hold. This past week, however, I find myself being challenged in a new discipline with how I handle the Word and the ability of the Holy Spirit to teach me Himself. I am finding that even in the area of reading my Bible, I am impatient. If I don't understand something I want to know that answer RIGHT NOW! I don't want to wait. What a difficult skill it is to sit quietly and wait on the Holy Spirit to teach me before running to other sources. It involves trust that I have the ability to hear His voice. Running to commentaries is the easy way out. Trusting the One who leads me into all truth to speak takes more restraint and patience.

I can hardly talk about what God did this past Saturday night at the end of the Furious Love event. I have never experienced a God-moment like that one. I have never left a church gathering immediately changed like I left that night. This kind of change was different. God changed something in me that has spurred me on to action and propelled me forward to "do" out of my love for Him. I can't really explain it very well because it was so precious and inwardly personal for me. Philip Mantofa has caused me to look at the Bible in a new way...and I can never go back. I loved the Word before Saturday night...but now I understand what it means to jealously guard it and to cherish it above all other things. I left the finale of Furious Love starving and desperate, rather than fat and fed. I left that night recognizing a need for God in my life that I've never known and I left standing on the truth that God loves me so much that He wants me to have Him.

This morning I am struck by Hebrews 2:8-9..

In putting everything under Him, God left nothing that is not subject to Him. Yet at present we do not see everything subject to Him. But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, now crowned with glory and honor because He suffered death, so that by the grace of God He might taste death for everyone.

How different God's ways are than mine. How seemingly ridiculous to make the Hero of Salvation low and humiliated for the strategy of rescuing us from death. Jesus tasted death for me. He had never known death of any kind until He willingly subjected Himself to it. He is the abundant life who took on death. Do I have any clue or concept the kind of effort it took to save my life? Do I have any clue what it was like for Jesus to leave perfection and become my sin? I feel overwhelmed with gratitude and purpose. How can I live this life without passion for Him when it took such great passion from Him to have me?

I am excited about the days ahead. God is doing a new thing in my heart. I am excited to see what I can get my hands into. I am excited to have this time, this season with Him. I feel filled with anticipation that He has much up His sleeve. I feel joyful over knowing that He is good and that freedom is fully available to me. I can walk in as much of it as I choose. Jesus tasted death for me so that I can taste life. Today will be a good day.

Comments

  1. I think we'll be finding treasure from that experience for a long time. Right there with you in protecting it-- too good, too much to let anyone mishandle it. Thanks for sharing your heart.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pride in Identity

Clear Glass, Stained Glass: Worship God vs Worshiping Worship

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do...