A Fun Game...

I tend to take Jesus admonition to come to Him like a little child seriously! I love that I follow a God who loves child-likeness. I find that He loves to play more than we serious hard-working humans dare to imagine. God and I like to play games together. He is often the initiator, or instigator!

At Redeemer, we are currently studying as a church body the letter of 1 Corinthians. I am really excited about this. It is challenging my heart and my understanding of the real Jesus. For me, the letters of Paul have always been a fight to fully understand...I think it's because of his crazy long run-on sentences. This week, we're looking at 1 Corinthians 1:26-31 and while studying this afternoon, God was in the mood to play a game. The game was to look for what these verses declare about His character. Read the verses below and then you'll see the treasures that I found. Feel free to add others that you may find.

26 Brothers and sisters, think of what you were when you were called. Not many of you were wise by human standards; not many were influential; not many were of noble birth. 27 But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong. 28 God chose the lowly things of this world and the despised things—and the things that are not—to nullify the things that are, 29 so that no one may boast before him. 30 It is because of him that you are in Christ Jesus, who has become for us wisdom from God—that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 31 Therefore, as it is written: “Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord.”

*God delights in working outside of human wisdom and boxes.
*Within God's wisdom are 3 components - righteousness, holiness and redemption. His wisdom isn't just knowledge, but salvation for those who believe. 
*God chose me to agree with His values far before I actually agreed with His values.
*He is grace.
*He is patience.
*He knew what I was, yet chose me because He saw what I would become. 
*God has deliberately yielded Himself to partnership with weak, growing people. There is hope for me in Him that I can do great things.
*God is a good Father who separates (makes holy) His children to shame the wise and weaken the strong. 
*God has humbled Himself to partner with someone like me. 
(Is anyone getting thankful yet???!)
*God desires me to boast about Him...in other words, He finds my mouthpiece worthy to speak of Him! WOW! He trusts what I would say about Him to others!
*God is a good Father who gives the despised, wounded and rejected ones a home and value. 


What do you see?


Comments

  1. Love it Holl ! Thanks for sharing. I love your childlike heart and your mature wisdom. I enjoy learning from you &/or being reminded!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see that He demonstrates how much He enjoys a good practical joke....I are one of them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Vanessa!

    & Patt...He's so full of surprises, isn't He?!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pride in Identity

Clear Glass, Stained Glass: Worship God vs Worshiping Worship

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do...