Like A Child

Earlier today I saw a father and a son shopping for a gift that, I'm assuming, was for the wife/mother. The son was maybe 4 years old - sweetly energetic and full of questions. Every few seconds I heard, "Daddy ______?   Can I have ______, Daddy? Daddy, how does ______ work? Daddy, how much does this cost? Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" Now, I, as the onlooker found this little guy to be wonderful...in my 1.4 minutes that I had to stand there and listen to his constant line of questioning. The father, on the other hand whom I assume hears this 24/7, was slightly less engaged by the high-pitched squealing of this tot. He would answer with a shrug, a grunt, a murmur...half paying attention, trying to accomplish the task for which he came. 

Sometimes, this is how I feel God must respond to me. I am FILLED with questions. I learn through questions. I thrive through questions. I've had many thoughts over the years that have questioned whether I drive God crazy with my unending questions or perhaps that I'm a burden to Him. He has far more important tasks to accomplish than to simply be my Answer. Sometimes, when I dwell on these thoughts too long I will hold back my questions from Him. Now, I understand that these things are a lie and against the very Father-heart of God. How quickly the enemy comes to slip that lie in, though, when I'm not paying attention. 

Today, as I was watching this little boy, I was reminded that for my Father, I am the accomplished task for which He came. He is never burdened when we bring questions to Him. He is never too busy for our wonderings. He is never too preoccupied to stop and tell us how the Kingdom works. He welcomes questions. He welcomes imagination. He isn't territorial with His life, but desires to make it open and available to His kids. 

I want to be more like my Father.

But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it."

It's interesting that Luke adds this Jesus-quote shortly after the story of the persistent widow, who would not give up asking for justice and bringing her requests before the judge. How persistent are children when they need something or want to know something? They will never stop unless an answer is given! We humans call that pestering...yet, God calls it persistence. There's a built-in faith inside of children. They believe their questions/needs will be met with full assurance...until the world tells them differently, of course. God desires our questions, our thoughts, our dependence, our impossible situations. He is Father. We are children. He has the correct answer for how to tie shoes, and button pants, for how to write our names, and how to ride bikes. 

He has answers, we have questions.  It's the perfect relationship. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pride in Identity

Clear Glass, Stained Glass: Worship God vs Worshiping Worship

What to Do When You Don't Know What to Do...